[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:34:28 CDT 2011

Charles,

It seems that I'm the one that was directed to, but that certainly wasn't my
intent.  I related the closest trail relationship I had, but I did not
demote your family to that of my trail friends.  Please do not put words in
my mouth.  In any case, I don't see how the closeness of any relationship
makes a hiking style more similar.   If anything, that closeness should be
more understanding of the need for each person to hike at their own pace
throughout the day for the health on each person and for the happiness of
the group.  If your group finds that being together at the beginning and end
of every day at a minimum is not enough, and needs to be in walking in
lockstep together all day every day no matter what, then that's fine because
everyone hikes their own hike which can include an inseparable group.

I did recommend an interim solution before committing to a group cooking
solution, but to answer your question more directly, take a look at
Backpackinglight.com.  They have a few fuel usage comparison articles and
threads.  I would look them up for you, but I don't have a current
membership.  For the quantity of food that you're planning to cook at one
time, you might actually be better off with a really good white gas stove.
 Supposedly the new Soto Muka multi fuel stove is supposed to be the hottest
stove on the market, and unlike certain MSR white gas stoves, the Soto can
actually simmer.  Even if it weighs more as a system (stove/fuel/cookware),
the benefit of being able to cook a bigger meal more quickly might be worth
it.