[pct-l] IDEAS on what stove to use when cooking for 4

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed May 4 16:06:22 CDT 2011

Charles wrote:

Thanks, Gary. You get it. I was having trouble wrapping my head around my
family being demoted to "trail friends."

You sound like we've insulted you, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't anyone's
intent.  The advice you're getting is good advice for any group of people
planning to hike 2,650 miles together, regardless of whether they're friends
or family.  Even a family has to make choices when some of its members
can't/won't go on.  Just browse through trail journals of previous years for
examples.  The members of this list have been encouraging you to keep your
options as open as possible, but if you already know that your choice will
be, "We all stick together no matter what, if one quits, we all quit," then
do what works for you.  No need to feel insulted.

To your original question without any unasked-for advice, canisters are not
as available as alcohol along the PCT.  Resupply with a canister stove is
harder to do.

Please don't plan on cooking over an open fire; it's illegal on much of the
trail for good reason.  If you have an accident with an open fire, you could
literally be billed for the entire cost of the firefighting effort (i.e.
hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars).

Eric