[pct-l] detouring around the Sierras

sabra985 sabra985 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:15:37 CDT 2011

I'm in the middle of my thru-hike, and I'm working on figuring out my
options with the Sierras. It looks like I might be getting there on the
early side - around the first week of June. I have a time constraint of
needing to be back for a job Sept 6. The way I see it, I have a couple of

1) Detour around the Sierras to Belden (?), go to Canada, flip back to KM
and finish this year.

2) Detour around, go to Canada this year, finish the Sierras next year.

3) Continue northbound as though nothing is standing in my way.

I know that there's lots of snow in the Sierras this year. I'm concerned
about route-finding (for days on end), snow travel above treeline, and
especially the "stream" (river) crossings. I know I can take Ned's course to
boost my confidence, but I think that even with the training there may be
conditions that dictate humans let nature run its course for a little while.
And I would really rather not wait or put myself in a situation that I
really can't handle.

SO...would Belden be the logical place to get back on? And what would be my
transportation options out of KM and to Belden?

Thanks much!
~Evenstar