[pct-l] Hiker Trash (Literally)

Tom Weir tom_d_w at hughes.net
Sun May 22 21:57:51 CDT 2011

In 2007 I found a gallon Ziploc full of trash propped against a tree at the
junction with a prominent side trail.  There was a note asking someone to
please carry it out.  The note went on to say that the person leaving the
trash was a thru-hiker and did want to carry it all the way to the next
town.  What a fine piece PR for thru-hikers.  I couldn't leave it for
someone to find, I felt guilt by association, so I picked it up and carried
it out.  What is ironic is that it didn't even weigh that much.  A few
ounces at most.

I made a point of showing it to every thru I ran into until I got rid of it.
I would rant about the low-life scum who would do such a thing and how they
were ruining the reputation of thru-hikers.  I never found out who left it
but hopefully they heard what I thought of them.  Even if you can't catch
the perpetrator, at least you can call attention to the crime.  I think if a
few of us raise a fuss about the bad behavior we see, even if we don't know
who did it, we can send the message that it is unacceptable.  If you see
thru-hiker trash on the trail, make a point of talking about it at the next
trail town.  Chances are that the guilty party will hear about your
displeasure.

Tom W