[pct-l] Backpack

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Nov 20 10:19:52 CST 2011

 From my perspective it's all about the "system" you carry.  For
example, I use a Golite Pinnacle or Gust.  I put in an airlines thick
and large plastic bag to keep everything inside dry.  I then coil a
full-length blue foam pad inside the plastic sack and pack that acts as
an extremely efficient frame.  Inside the sleeping pad goes a sleeping
quilt and Tarptent Contrail, clothes, food, and other gear.  Everything
fits inside the rolled up foam pad.

I don't "stuff" the quilt, now eight years old and still fluffy so my
pack never seems to get smaller.  I can carry a bear cannister when
required without too much fuss.  I can carry six days of food
comfortably.  (comfortably means 3 lbs a day fits)  My base weight is
about 13 or 14 pounds, depending on if I carry a book or an extra warm
layer.

Other systems are based on using a much smaller pack and hanging or
tying gear on the outside.  Generally this system has you use a small
shoulder to hips sleeping pad and use extra clothing and the pack itself
to insulate legs and feet.  The sleeping bag is stuffed of course.

I'm a big fan of having a system before purchasing a new pack/gear...

Here are items I take and their approximate weights.

Pack22 oz

Sleeping quilt21 oz

Sleeping pad10 oz

Tent27 oz