[pct-l] Trail magic and the PCT culture

zeeke0943 at charter.net zeeke0943 at charter.net
Wed Oct 19 10:28:51 CDT 2011

Hi all.
I have been meaning to do this for months. Having some of my hiking
"family" finish and reach the monument recently reminded me that
although you HYOH, it is a team sport of sorts.
I am an older (Geezer really) section hiker who went to Campo this year
to attend the kick Off and to do a couple sections. I truly got caught
up in the culture/experience and had a very difficult time leaving the
trail at Big Bear. I had the privilege of hiking solo and with some of
the finest "characters" I have ever known. They will be family from here
on.
  As is all hikers trash's responsibility (and blessing), we wanted to
give back, or at least acknowledge, some of the gifts of trail magic we
received. There is no way to do this justice, for someone will get left
out and I did not get to experience most of the magic offered. I hope
others will fill in the blanks.
First and foremost, we would like to thank those who put on Kick Off and
those who fed us and those who supported us with critical (and possibly
life saving) information on water, snow/ice travel and stream crossings
in the sierras (epic year). Thanks Ned and Asabat, not only for the
presentations, but for ongoing updates which were critical. Thanks to
those like Yogi, Eric the Black, and Half-Mile for the guide books and
maps. Thanks to those who took the time to post info on weather, snow
depth, detours, pass conditions etc. Thanks to those who provided
special rates and extra servings in town. Thanks to those who gave us
rides, info and treats. A special thanks to those who provided water
caches, coolers of goodies and treats. Those who have traveled this
trail will never forget rounding the bend with head down, tired and
thirsty and coming on the "magic". The cooler with cold ones or the
bag/box of fruit or other treats. It fills your heart with gratitude.
You never forget it. It like hiking all day from Fuller Ridge down the
endless (!&#!!!) switchbacks and find the drinking fountain at Snowy
Canyon. Thanks to the crew at the wind farm for the water, hospitality,
covered shelter and the microwaved hamburgers. Thanks to the land owners
who allow us passage and the agencies who maintain it. A special thanks
to the trail crews who's Herculean feats provide the trial in some of
the most difficult terrain  there is.
Thank you to those who open up their homes/property to those passing
through, you are angels, there is a heaven. Thanks to all those who post
here and provide quality info for Newbees and veterans alike.

  As you all know,when you hike the trail, you can't help but be changed
forever. The formality of every day life is striped away, leaving your
core and spirit. You deal with basic needs and learn that "you can".
You see the world in a more basic way and appreciate the little things (
which you find out are really important) and you appreciate those who
share your journey. (Sorry, got carried away).
Thanks for all the "trail magic", the giving to/from perfect strangers,
the random acts of kindness that is really giving and receiving, both of
which feel really good. If only that were a bigger part of our culture
on a day to day basis.
As I said, I cannot do this justice. I have left some special people
out, but you know who you are. Bless you all, for you are truly "Angels"
and you or you acts will live on in the hearts of many. You have stirred
in us the desire to be "better", to give back, to pay it forward.  Thank
You and Bless You.

Wait 4 It
(and all the rest of the hiker trash of 2011)