[pct-l] Goodbye Stehekin

Jackass jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 02:13:33 CDT 2011

Another season closes and again it's time for Molasses and  I to leave our sometimes home of Stehekin.

After foot injuries took me off the trail this summer, I headed back to Stehekin to reconnect with my gal and to settle into off trail life(read:work).

If you need a place to recoup and reintergrate then you can't beat Stehekin's mellow mood. And when you find yourself missing the trail and your Hikertrash brethren, missing that connection and comeradery; there will be a knock on your door, a smiling, dust smeared face on the other side.

Billygoat stopped by for a week. SuperClaw moved into employee housing for a over a week. Socs ('09) hung out for a day. Gravy and gang breezed through. DontPanic, DropDead, Stables all popped up on my doorstep right when I needed the company. Not to mention all of the hikers that I had met on the trail this year.

Best of all was the night that we spent hanging out on the deck with the famous/infamous, Shroomer! That Beatniki poet, philosifer, mycologist extroardanair that we all look up to and try to emulate. The Budha under the Bodi tree. Sage of the Sierra. We all stayed up well past hiker-midnight, past regular midnight. We said goodnight repeatedly only to spill into another trail tail and another. Good times. Good times my friend.

Not a bad place, that Stehekin. Unique in so many ways. It's really depressing to think that the Landing is going corporate next season(GSI, the same comp. that runs the concession at Rainier won the concession for the next ten years). Something will be lost here. The vibe will change at the landing and so the valley. Our little piece of paradise will be marred.

So GOOD BYE STEHEKIN, You'll be missed.

Jackass

Sent from my iPhone