[pct-l] tents: freestanding vs. staked

aslive at charter.net aslive at charter.net
Tue Sep 13 09:48:41 CDT 2011

I have used a staked shelter for years mainly because I don't want to
carry the weight of a free standing tent.  If I can not stake down my
shelter, I lay the stake flat and place rocks on top of it.  This has
always worked well for me even is strong winds, just use more rocks.
Digging a hole in snow and then covering the stakes with it, also will
work well.  That said, staking is a bit slower and more work than
setting up a free standing tent.  I have never not had enough energy to
do it but have often wished that I did not have to.

Shepherd