[pct-l] Way out on a limb: anyone hiking with a pad computer?

David Money Harris harris at g.hmc.edu
Thu Apr 5 12:33:57 CDT 2012

I'm experimenting with carrying an ipad this spring.  I plan to use it
for typing up field notes each evening while they are fresh in my mind
and for communication, replacing my phone. I also have loaded up the
complete set of Halfmile maps, WP guides, and Yogi's guide along with
some wildlife guides to complement the local paper maps and databook
I'll be carrying.

The ipad plus charger plus a loksak bag for protection weighs close to 2
pounds.  That's a big improvement from anything previously available
with the same capabilities, but it's still a substantial hit.  Time will
tell if I keep it with me the whole way.

David