[pct-l] After Action Report - 2012 Kickoff

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Apr 29 16:52:39 CDT 2012

Yes, Switchback, your PCT hero  and trail raconteur has cheated death once
again.  This time at the  2012 Lake Morena PCT Kickoff.  The Kelty Kid and
the Wagon  Master again orchestrated an outstanding event.  The volunteers
did  prodigious work with faithfulness and expertise.  It was great to see old
 friends and meet new ones.  I did not see the handsome PCT-L moderator,
Brick.  He usually can be identified by the covey of beautiful women around
him.  They follow him like mosquitos follow you and me on the trail and in
camp.  This Kickoff was a little different for me.  My 93-year  old
father-in-law and WWII veteran, Tony, was in the hospital in Los  Angeles, so I was
worried about him.  A great man.

I left Las Vegas on Wednesday to drive  down to Pine Valley to check into
the Pine Valley Inn to see if Meadow Ed  and Crash had checked in yet.  They
had not arrived, so I took off to  Lake Morena to harass any early
volunteers and backpackers.  I set up my  Pirate Lair table at campsite #22 to get a
head start getting ready for  Friday and Saturday.  I stayed at the inn all
four days, Wednesday through  Sunday morning.  This was especially nice
since the restrooms at Lake  Morena were broke except for the showers.  There
were porta-potties too,  but I was sure glad I had a motel room each night.
Wednesday night I slept  between the two motel room beds that Ed and Crash
were in.  I  was on the floor with my camping mattress and sleeping bag.  Not
bad at all.  For three nights I had my own room, since Ed and Crash stayed
at Lake Morena with all the other hardcore folks.  If there is any bad
weather in the area, I will be warm and dry in my motel room while the  Kickoff
folks are battling the elements.  He, he, he.  The weather was  pretty good
this year.  That evening Ed, Crash and I went to Calvins  for dinner in
Pine Valley.  Each day I usually had breakfast at Major's in  Pine Valley.

On Friday morning I did my traditional  drive to Julian to the Coffee Shop
for breakfast and to buy pastries. The drive  to Julian from Pine Valley was
the most beautiful I have ever seen along the  Sunrise Highway. The
sunlight, clouds, fog and temperature were like out of a  dream. The views along
the highway were spectacular. On the way back I gave 5 PCT backpackers some
pastries.  To say they were happy PCT hikers would be an understatement.  I
arrived at  Lake Morena and gave out pastries to volunteers who wanted them
and put the rest  on my table at the Pirate's Lair. AsABat stopped by and we
solved all the worlds  problems and talked about our upcoming retirements
from many long years of  working. He is really enjoying his camper and section
hiking the trail.  On  Thursday I continued to set up the Pirate's Lair and
talk to folks and drive  around the area to see what trouble I could get
into.

Friday and Saturday the Pirate's Lair and  campsite #22 was a beehive of
activity.  PepperMint Patty was directing  hiker haircuts with her dog Frankie
and a beautiful hiker lady was giving  professional massages in a special
massage chair.  How nice is that!   I made about 20 hands-free umbrella
holders for hikers and painted  florescent orange about 25 sets of shelter
stakes.  Tons of my hiker  treats were consumed Friday and Saturday.  The
30-minute SuperSecrets  of Backpacking seminar had 25 or so attendees.  The
dehydrated water demo  went very well.  Everyone was astounded and thrilled to see
this real world  demo.  Once again no one was disappointed and no one used my
150%  money back guarantee this year either.  In all the years I have  been
doing my Pirate's Lair products and services, I have never had an
unsatisfied customer wanting a warrantee refund.  I'd say that is a  pretty
impressive 1.000% batting average for good old  Switchback.

For lunches I drove to the Campo  Diner.  This is only about 4 miles from
Lake Morena.  I really like  this place for some reason.  It is across a
street from a modern gas  station and mini mart complex.  There is a separate
building with a Sub Way  shop too.  The Campo Diner is where a lot of locals
eat.  Besides the  tables and chair and booths, there is counter with a glass
stand holding  lots of big brownies.  The largest I have seen.  One year I
bought one (I have to limit my sugar intake now days) and it is super
delicious.  Every hiker leaving Lake Morena should have one in their  pack.
Then the Mt. Laguna Store would then be an easy 20-mile  hike.  On Saturday
evening I packed up and left for my motel room in Pine  Valley.  As I left the
park I stopped at the Kickoff entry station to pick  up my yearly free
Kickoff bandanna for services rendered.  I was told  there were not any for me
and to move along.  Well not exactly.   Seems there were not enough this year
and they only had 5 left for late thru  hiker attendees.  Once again
Switchback gets the shaft (but no 2012  bandanna) after faithful dedication and
service to the PCT  community.

By the way, I am planning my 2013 PCT  thru-trike of the PCT.  I will be
the first person to ever do this.   Of course, being the first it will be
laced with danger and the  unknown.  But I am up to it.  I plan on using a 2013
Honda Goldwing  trike.  This will give me the comfort level I deserve and my
reputation and  status demands.  I will stay on paved highways along the
PCT.  I might  even form a biker gang to go with me.  This way it will be
easier to  pillage and sack trail towns, hikers, and Trail Angel compounds along
the  PCT.  I will probably make a side trip to sack the PCTA office in
Sacramento too.  That would be fun.

All and all a great event as usual and  attended by many hundreds of good
folks.  Hope those who  missed it this year will make it next year.  I had
lots of  fun.

Your obedient servant and trail  knave.  Faithfully recorded and documented,

Switchback the Trail Pirate
May the Forest Be With  You