[pct-l] Chips Fire explodes...lessons to be learned

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Aug 5 03:39:48 CDT 2012

Yes Tracy,
I can see why you might be reading it that way.
However, I did not mean to imply that a novice hiker was the cause of
the fire....fires can be caused by experienced hikers as well.
I was merely venting my frustration with some of the irresponsible
statements on the list that mislead and encourage some novice hikers to
believe that the PCT is a piece of cake and encourages them to attempt a
thru-hike for which they may not be properly prepared and wind up over
their head.
The PCT is not piece of cake....it is one of our more challenging long
trails and should not be underestimated.
Take care and HYOH.

JMT Reinhold