[pct-l] Hiking Washington State / Stevens to Manning Park

belcherjd at juno.com belcherjd at juno.com
Mon Aug 6 22:59:19 CDT 2012

Chuck and Kate

We get the first snows in Washington during the third week of September about 50% of the time.
By the first week of October you can pretty well depend on some snow above 5000 ft. And those that make it to the border after the 2nd week in October can consider themselves very luck.
However, the snow we get in September is usually not very deep, 3 to 6" or so and slushy at lower elevations. Crampons and Ice axes are worthless and not deep enough for snowshoes.

Of course, as others have said, late August and September can be very wet. I take a 7 to 10 day hike after Labor Day each year and
usually half of those days will be in the rain in groups of 3 or 4 days of fairly steady rain. I have been on many week long PCT section hikes that I never saw the sun yet still stay dry because I go out perpared ..... yes carry good rain gear.
We have a saying here in Pugetopolis:  It only rains twice a year here - June to December and January to May.

Jon Belcher
Marysville WA