[pct-l] Off Season Jobs

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Aug 23 20:07:00 CDT 2012

I hiked two years in a row. I front-loaded my hiking with a lot of
money saved up. I had enough money to not work for at least a year,
maybe 2. Turned out it was enough probably to take 4 years off or
more. But I only took off about 2 years.

In between my two hikes, I took a volunteer job and through that I
met a lady who turned me on to a seasonal job I could do for a couple
of months in late fall. I took the job and we ended up working until
the following April. That helped me not have to keep sucking dry my
savings and since it was part time I had plenty of time to prepare
for the next hike.

Then after the 2nd hike I took part time jobs and classes for a while
until I found a good full-time job. Now I'm just another workaday
slob. I took two weeks off this summer to hike with some CDT thru-
hikers. I'm kind of glad now that I'm not a thru-hiker. Too much
pressure to get the miles in, not enough swimming!