[pct-l] PCT sleeping system

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:44:55 CDT 2012

When you say "bivy poncho combination" I assume the poncho is one that doubles as a tarp, right?
I can't recommend a bivy as your solo shelter.  I've used a bivy while hiking for a couple months in Japan during the rainy season and during a typhoon, and got soaked inside a bivy.  I used a bivy again on weekend hikes in the rain in Washington and again got wet inside.  I didn't learn my leason, and brought iton my 1st PCT hike, and found, even when it doesn't rain, my sleeping bag gets wet simply due to condensation.

Backpacks:
I use a golight, and found I like the fit, the size, durability.  The two things I don't like about it: the side pocket for a water bottle is too small, so an empty or nearly empty Nalgene bottle pops out; b) my 28 inch waist is too thin, so that the waist belt doesn't tighten up enough