[pct-l] Dress code for hotsprings?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:48:52 CST 2012

Sabi wrote:

Coming over from Europe (and an open family) I am well aware that there
could be some cultural differences concerning nudism. I don't want to
provoke or embarass someone, so my question is if it would be considered as
impolite or worse - propositioning - to go into natural hot springs
naked/topless ?

Speaking very broadly, you can expect that all swimming opportunities in
public, developed locations (swimming pools, lakes with easy automobile
access, etc.) will require top (for females) and bottom coverage.  In many
places a sports bra and underwear would probably be sufficient, though
places like Dow Villa would probably frown on that if they specifically
prohibit street clothes, and hopefully you wash out the trail grunge before
getting into a swimming pool in any case.  In many undeveloped backcountry
locations you'll find an unofficial "clothing optional" policy but you still
need to be sensitive to the standards of others who might already be there.
A few places, like Deep Creek hot springs, are well-known to be
clothing-optional so you probably won't have problems there.

Eric