[pct-l] trailhead break-ins/security

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 12:32:40 CST 2012

Shon,
I have a solution that I sometimes use with my Adventurewagen Van Camper.  If I have parked it in a questionable place for a few days, I just pull all the curtains closed and leave the radio on and one of the low wattage florescent lights on the entire time. I run both off the large deep-cycle auxiliary batteries. More than enough energy needed is provided by the sun as I have solar panels on the roof. Of course, I have to park where there is enough sun. The batteries store enough for this for a couple of days even if there is little or no sun. I realize that this approach won't work with a regular car. Perhaps you need a camper with solar. My water for the shower is also heated by the sun - a solar water heater, of my own design, is also on the roof. It has both a thermometer and a gage. This saves water - I can adjust the water temperature to my comfort level before starting the shower. I also take solar showers while on the trail. Since I
 usually ride a horse, I rarely go into towns as the hikers do.
MendoRider-Hiker