[pct-l] Fires

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 11 15:22:09 CST 2012

Good afternoon,

I whole-heartedly agree with Ken.  I hiked SoCal in ’07, a very dry year.  I
was so concerned about fire that I changed all my menus to food I could eat
without cooking or heating.  I didn’t even carry a stove or pot.  I had
matches in my pack, but the only time I used fire was inside the shop at
Hikertown when I borrowed a Bic to melt the end of a piece of nylon cord.  That
was it.

Conversely, I talked to one thru-hiker who bragged that he, and his posse,
had built a campfire every night on the entire trip, border to border.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/