[pct-l] SOCKS

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 15 19:54:12 CST 2012

The dust you get through your shoes is too fine to cause any
problems. Seriously, it's like talcum powder.

I really think the blisters on the PCT is a combo of the heat of the
trail, the uniform nature of the hiking surface (any "flaws" in the
trail tend to go on for 10 miles at a time) and the newness of doing
that many miles day after day.

I have only gotten blisters on the So Cal section of the PCT and only
the first time I hiked it as a long distance hiker. Never again on
any section hike, including sections in So Cal. Never again on my
second long distance hike. Even though my feet continue to get just
as dirty.

I believe the main mistake I made as a new hiker was goretex and not
wearing loose/big enough shoes. Probably was a mistake that my first
pair of shoes were all leather without mesh. Fixing my shoe problems
didn't help immediately. I didn't see a resolution of my blisters
until after Kennedy Meadows.