[pct-l] a pot for two and newbie questions

Louisa Fischer lulu.3 at hotmail.de
Fri Feb 24 06:20:36 CST 2012

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking the list for a while now and since this years epic pct-hike is getting closer, I've finally found some stuff to ask.
I will be thru-hiking with a close friend, so we are getting gear for two, trying to go UL where we can handle it. Not so easy as we are from Europe and the common hiking style here is "strong and sturdy"... anyway, we are planning to use a self-made alcohol stove (has worked so-so in the past, will be improved) and now I'm wondering if anyone knows of a light two-person pot? Most people seem to have their kitchen stuff set out for one... Would a 1,7L pot be sufficient? The one we've used before was big enough (1,7L too i guess) but it didn't have to handle a thru-hikers appetite. Also: Concerning fuel efficiency, does a high and narrow pot make more sense or a wide one?

Another question: I'm thinking about getting (micro)spikes. There is a LOT out there and I can't really figure out what would be overkill or useless (yaktrax??). Many seem to have used the kahtoola spikes, but I wonder if anyone has tried the screw-on type of spikes like these http://keithmichalak.fatcow.com/store/index.html. Maybe I should mention that we will be hiking in trail shoes, not boots and with poles.

thanks a lot, looking forward to KO and the CA sunshine,
Louisa