[pct-l] GPS Recommendations?

pshaw999 at cox.net pshaw999 at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 12:22:37 CST 2012

The accurate fix you are referring to seems to me to be what a surveyor
might want when seeking very high precision. For a hiker, a couple of feet
either way is irrelevant. My DeLorme PN60w finds itself in seconds from
power up, so does my phone, so does my Magellan navigator in the car and my
other in-car gps. From that experience I assume all gps's can get a pretty
good location in a matter of seconds. These short times assume an open sky
which is mostly what you get on the PCT. Forested area are a different story
and they all struggle a bit to get a fix and that is where it would wise to
keep it on once it has a location. But leaving it on all the time will get
through batteries pretty quickly. On the CDT last year I mostly used the gps
to confirm my location on the map. A few times I ran it continuously, but
that was getting through forests with umpteen feet of snow concealing the
trail. This way, a pair of Lithium AA batteries would typically last me at
least a week. But the CDT is a navigation nightmare compared to the PCT.

Not surprising Garmin refers to their own product as the gold standard. When
I was looking for a gps, the Garmins all had this maximum number of waypoint
limit (if I recall it was 500) and you had to go through an elaborate
procedure to fool it into believing the trail waypoints are really points of
interest. Thanks to Halfmile for figuring this out and publishing a step by
step guide. The DeLorme has a limit but it's something like 10,000. Maybe
Garmin has fixed this in their latest offerings, but to me it was a deal
breaker. Additionally, the integrated Spot on the DeLorme was a nice
feature, although today you can get a Spot integrated with an Android
smartphone as well.

Peanut Eater