[pct-l] Maps, etc.

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:02:35 CST 2012

While I don't have experience with the whole PCT (mostly the High Sierras),
and I accept that Diane knows way better than me what is actually "needed"
for hiking the trail, for me maps are part of the joy of hiking a trail. I
love looking at maps, figuring out where I am in relation to the map,
looking for landmarks, "am I up here or over there?", etc. Combined with a
trail guide, I can imagine the people who have passed through, the trials
they might have experienced and the rocks (I'm not so good with rocks) I
see around me and whether they have been here for a billion years or a
gazillion years. It's a way to connect with the past and still be in the
present. I don't like carrying any more weight than necessary but the
enjoyment I get from my maps and other info sources might equal another
individuals something-or-other. What I think is important is that each
person is able to find the sweet spot for themselves and make sure they are
making it happen.

--
Shelly