[pct-l] Mountain House #10 tins - breaking them up into zip locks?

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.net
Thu Jan 19 12:09:26 CST 2012

I've done it for short times with no problem, just can get a little stale sometimes. Vacuum sealing would be better.

I do it all the time with gatorade etc but not in ziplocs. I use simple baggies, push the powdered into a corner of the most bag, push the air our, twist it closed and tie an overhand knot. To use I tear a tiny hole in the corner.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports Socal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net

Jackie McDonnell <yogihikes at gmail.com> wrote:

Ruffwork -

I've never done that with Mountain House, but I've done a similar thing
with Jerky and Gatorade powder. It was a terrible idea in both instances.
The jerky was too tough to bite, and the Gatorade powder was . . . gross.
It expanded and got all chunky.

My recommendation would be to assume the one-week expiration is accurate.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM, ruffwork <ruffwork at ruffwork.com> wrote:

> I was looking at the price of individual packages of Mountain House freeze
> dried vs. the #10 tins:
> $2 or $3 per meal vs. $6. Wow!
> I got a tin to try it and it says it is only good for 1 week after opening?
> Has anyone ever broke down a tin into zip locks and used those?
>
> Just wondering...
>
> ruffwork

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: