[pct-l] Zip locks and boiling water

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Thu Jan 19 18:53:33 CST 2012

> I routinely take the freeze-dried food from their foil pouchs and put
> them in gallon zip locks.  I pour boiling water directly into the bag
> and let it sit til moist and tender (LOL).

I only carry a single large zip-lock with me.

It has bright red pen marks all over it that says "chlorine".

Inside of it is a small container of chlorine for when I just cannot
take my socks being beyond toxic anymore.

Fill it up with water, add 4 or 5 drops of chlorine, zip it up, and
knead the socks for a bit, than let it sit for 10 minutes or so.

Pull the socks out and my socks are wearable again.

I also carry a small packet of woollite (
http://www.minimus.biz/Woolite-Liquid-Cold-Water-Wash-D01-0613800-1100.aspx
) for if I cannot get to a trail town and I really want to watch my
merino wool base layers. Just throw them into the zip lock, put in the
woollite, and after a bit you have clean base layers again. Woollite
works awesome for being on the trail as it is a cold water detergent
and short of using some Dr. B's, its the next safest environmental
thing that I know (not saying it is, just that I know of).