[pct-l] Carrying extra water, which container(s) do you use?

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sun Jul 1 14:11:39 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Anne Estoppey <anne_estoppey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have lived many years in Norway, and I am from Switzerland, so hot deserts and lack of water are a challenge for me... And in addition, in Norway you don't need to filter the water while hiking in the mountains... :-P<

You will find that many people in the USA don't filter their water in
the Sierra. The fear of drinking the water is due to advertising by
water filter companies and legal warnings that are in place to protect
the Government from getting sued. This idea that the water is actually
safe can be very controversial.

An analysis of the water can be found here
http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/giardia.htm

That being said, much of the first 500 miles of the PCT is not in the
mountains, but in the desert, or very near urban areas, and much of
the available water is of low quality and certainly should be treated.

Enjoy your hike