[pct-l] info needed re hiking JMT/PCT Kearsarge pass north to South lake Sept 1...

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 6 07:47:55 CDT 2012

Good morning, Linda,

September is usually a great time to hike the Sierra.  There won’t be any
troublesome snowpack or high creek fords, and the mosquitoes will mostly
gone, and while there can be new snow on any day of the calendar at high
elevation the likelihood in September is very low.

A common phenomena in the Sierra is the afternoon rumbles.  Air from the
Pacific move east across California’s central valley and picks up moisture
as it heats up through the morning.  By early to mid-afternoon that air
ascends the Sierra forming clouds that almost every day shed some of the
moisture as rain -- somewhere.

As you know in the Rockies, from the higher aspects one can see about 50
miles in every direction.  Similarly, in the Sierra one can watch cloud
banks form north and south, and there will be spotty dark, cloud cells with
thunder and lightning – somewhere – so assume there is local rain –
somewhere.

In spite of all that, the chance that rain will fall on any one spot is
darn slim, and if there is rain it most probably will be a brief,
refreshing shower.  It doesn’t usually extend into the night because the
air then passing will not have heated and loaded water over the central
valley.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=194180

You probably won’t resupply in the 6 days.  I usually carry about 10 lbs.
of base gear plus about 2 lbs. of food per day.  It isn’t necessary to
carry much water in the Sierra so a total pack weight can be well under the
30 lbs. you mention.

 Overnight temperatures will likely be in the 40’s F, but there could be
light frost.  Daytime temps will likely be in 70’s – simply great.

Enjoy your trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/