[pct-l] New Plan

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 29 20:29:55 CDT 2012

Good evening, Kim,

You didn’t mention where you and your friends live and train, but for most
hikers a relatively quick trip to some of the higher Sierra locations will
result in considerable performance degradation.  For example when a person
hikes to Cottonwood Pass they will find only 65% of the oxygen that was
available near sea-level.  On Mt. Langley there will be only 58%.  The
average low-altitude hiker/trainer will be gasping like a guppy because of
the discomfort in trying to fill the lungs.  Assuming one doesn’t get some
version of altitude sickness, the biggest effect is an oxygen-proportional
reduction in physical performance.

For most PCT thru-hikers the transition from low altitude to high evolves
over weeks of strenuous trail, so by the time they reach Forester Pass they
aren’t out of breath – much.  They’ve trained and become acclimated.

I regularly take flat-land visitors to Timberline Lodge – a measly 6,000
ft. elevation – and some of them pant and gasp just walking from the
parking lot to the lodge.

The hike between Cascade Locks and Timberline Lodge has been mentioned.  That’s
a 6,000 ft. climb with 4,000 ft. in the first 15 miles via Eagle Creek, or
in the first 7 miles on the official PCT.  I’d hike it from the lodge
downhill to Cascade Locks.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye