[pct-l] Bleach treatment links?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 4 13:31:29 CST 2012

Cameron wrote:

Now that I am trying to shave a  couple pounds, I am considering aquamira or
bleach as an alternative.

Some people use bleach over the course of multiple months and I guess they
do just fine but I would personally be uncomfortable with it.  Free chlorine
isn't a very nice chemical and using it in the recommended concentration for
long periods of time seems like something best avoided.  Maybe I'm just
over-cautious.

Aqua Mira contains an entirely different chemical than bleach does and is
generally considered to have fewer long-term side-effects than bleach.  (It
contains chlorine dioxide which isn't the same thing as free chlorine, just
like sodium chloride isn't the same thing as free chlorine.)  Granted, it's
much more expensive, so it's out of reach for people on very tight budgets.
But if you can afford it I'd recommend Aqua Mira over bleach for multi-month
extended use.

I also think Aqua Mira has a much less objectionable taste and smell which
might mean you'll be less tempted to skip using it.

Eric