[pct-l] Inexperienced hikers

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Mar 7 06:42:37 CST 2012

Yes Jackass,
That is exactly the point that I have been trying to convey for many years.
To many inexperienced hikers attempt to "thru" the PCT.

W H Y?????........Because they have been let to belief that hiking the
PCT is the  "cool" thing to do and anybody can do it and it is safer
than the neighborhood park and even your own home.
The bears won't bother you if you store your food in a canister, the
snakes won't bite if you don't bother them and
you can always call 911 if you do get into trouble or get lost.

Yup,.......I have heard that argument many times....it is an argument
that encourages inexperienced hikers, that do not have the hiking
experience, to attempt to "thru" the PCT because they were let to belief
that it is so "cool" and safe that anybody can do it.
I am not saying that an inexperienced hiker can not "thru" the PCT....I
am saying there are a lot of inexperienced hikers on the trail that
should not be on the trail....not yet anyway.

They are totally unaware that Switchback will be lurking in the
dark,....waiting for them.

JMT Reinhold
Jackass wrote:
All that being said...about two thirds of the hikers I encounter on the
trail, either: a) have no maps, b) have maps, but no clue how to read them.
Most folk seem to get by in "groups" where one or two hikers do all of
the route finding, while the sheep follow blindly.
Most make out O.K., some...not so much.
Last year, in the Sierra, I ran into two seperate hikers on the same day
(north of Whitney) who were without maps-hopelessly lost- and blindly
following footprints across endless snow fields.
By the end of the day I had gone from a solo hiker responsible for only
my own safety to a mountain guide...a service that I was happy to
provide, but shouldn't have had to.
One fellow even regained his confidence and struck out ahead...it took
him three tries to find the right "notch" at Kearsarge Pass.