[pct-l] Inexperienced hikers

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 07:01:29 CST 2012

Snow Bunny JMT Unsupported Reinhold writes: I am not saying that an inexperienced hiker can not "thru" the PCT....I am saying there are a lot of inexperienced hikers on the trail that should not be on the trail....not yet anyway. They are totally unaware that Switchback will be lurking in the dark,....waiting for them.
Switchback replies: When planning any hike safety is first.  Comfort and enjoyment is second.  This includes ultra light weight themes.  You have to realistically evaluate your abilities and goals.  For example, when is it okay for you to come off the trail or even off the hike.  What is success for your hike?  Is it to finish or do you have other goals that too that would make for a successful experience even if you were not able to finish the hike.  A lot of hikers do not think about these things.  They go out with too rigid an idea of what they are about.  Flexibility is the hallmark of the hiker.  This includes regrouping/resupply after being sacked by Trail Pirates.  I thank you.