[pct-l] Canada

Lisa Valenti-Jordan valentijordan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 01:17:14 CDT 2012

First, Eric is absolutely right...if you cross the border illegally you
risk giving a bad name to the PCT community, and ending the possibility of
legal entry into Canada along the PCT.  I'm frankly a little amazed that
it's still available.

Second, you risk being unable to re-enter canada (they can permanently bar
you).  You also risk detention, at first for 48 hours, and then pending a
hearing for up to 30 days.
http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/brdcom/abau/faq/Pages/index.aspx#idfaq4.  You
may also end up paying Canada for the privilege of your deportation (eg if
they have to bus you out, you pay for the ride, and if it's anything like
USCIS it ain't cheap).  You will, if caught, be searched.  Don't have
firearms, pot, etc.  It will be confiscated and you may be subject to
criminal prosecution.

I'd turn around.  Of course, you can also apply for a waiver of your
criminal record (via rehabilitation) if the misdemeanor was 5 years ago,
and then re apply for the entry permit.  (or if it was 10 years ago you may
be deemed rehabilitated)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp The waiver takes
about a year though, so if you are hiking this year that
may not work.

Puddlejumper
Note: i'm a first year law student who doesn't know much more than how to
highlight a case.  Look at the links yourself and decide.  This is *not*
legal advice, just my personal musings.