[pct-l] Learning to self-arrest

Ann Gerckens volunteer_ann at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 02:04:40 CDT 2012

Actually, Cathy, there is more to the ice ax than the arrest; and while watching
a video and reading Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is helpful, you really
want to find an experienced person who can teach you skills to prevent a fall in
the first place, and can tell you what you are doing wrong.

I live in central Ohio, where an overpass is a major change of elevation.  My
first PCT trip was Ollalie Lake to Columbia River with a zero day at Timberline
Lodge.  I arranged for a Portland based mountaineer to teach a snow travel class
at Mt. Hood for us that day.  Serendipity, really. I had the idea while at work
that day and headed home enthused to start tracking down a likely candidate.
Reaching my apartment, I pulled the newest PCT Communicator from the mailbox and
threw it on the couch to read later.  It fell  open to a page with a brand new
ad for Snow travel classes at Mt Hood by Oregon Peak Adventures.  I had it all
set up withing a few hours of having the idea.

If you are anywhere near the pacific northwest, I'd start with the Mazamas
(Portland) or the Mountaineers (Seattle).  In New England, the Appalachian
Mountain Club should be able to steer you in the right direction, though it may
be too late for this year.

Even here in Ohio, there have been years when I have managed to arrange use of a
ski area the day after it closes.  It's a juggling act.  Get a list of people
who might be interested in such a class, a list of people qualified to teach
such a class, find a ski patroller willing to pressure the ski area management
to allow such a class and be ready to jump if the opportunity presents.  I've
managed it 4 times in the last 11 years, but never with more than 48 hours
notice of being able to use the snow.

 Ann Gerckens

"We all struggle with something, you can either be paralyzed by it or take
action". - Patrick Dempsey, Remedy's Healthy Living, Winter 2011.