[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get though them

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 14:00:07 CDT 2012

Hello Taylor,

Since I am an equestrian, my perspective will be different from that of the hikers. A lot of good advice and memories of the PCT experience has already been posted by them.

I have ridden the PCT, solo, on one horse. from Mexico to Canada. I was not always mounted - sometimes I hiked, leading my horse. First, I would like to say that I loved, and thoroughly enjoyed,  the entire adventure - except for some sights and sounds, which I will tell of later on this same post. There was, as you must realize, a great variety of wonderful scenery and also many challenges. Riding a horse, I had to find a way to get past many obstacles that were easy for the hikers. Fallen trees, blocking the trail, were among my greatest challenges. I had to cut about 50 of those during my journey - and discover a way around many, many, more. I had to take detours - one of those ended taking a day and one half. Those problems were expected - challenges that I actually enjoyed overcoming.  Other challenges (wind, rain, snow, hail, heat, cold, etc.) that the hikers have described, were also expected and were parts of the entire experience.
 Those who aren't mentally prepared for those, and more, should not consider thru-hiking the PCT. Expect the unexpected.

Having been an avid hiker/backpacker long before I became a rider, I would like to point out an advantage to riding a horse that never occurred to me when I was a hiker - before I discovered horses. It is the VIEWS. When mounted, you have time to see a lot more of the scenery  I never even thought of how much hiking time, when on a rough, rocky, or uneven tread, I spent looking at the trail ahead so as not to trip. While riding, I let my sure-footed horse do that, while I could just rotate my head and from a higher perspective, enjoy the scenery in all directions. A hiker can also do that by slowing down and stopping often - rather than trying to make mega mles to do the entire PCT in just one season, sometimes even hiking at night using a headlamp. Of course, that, thru-hiking in one season, is a great accomplishment to be admired. But there are also downsides to be considered. I say, as many have said -HYOH  - Hike your own hike.

Now for the "worst parts of the trail".  To me, whenever I could SEE the results of civilization. Highways, buildings of all kinds, clear cuts, illegal Mountain Bikes on the PCT,  power lines, and wind farms. Of course, I realize that a trail that is over 2600 miles long, in the 21st Century, will include all of these and more. I expected them and tried to ignore them and shift my eyes , whenever possible, to nearby unspoiled views. BUT, the "worst" of those eyesores, to me, were the darn wind farms. In the Tehachipi area it took about 1.5 days to escape seeing and hearing them. The saddest experience was along a place where the PCT was on a dirt access road that followed closely along a line of wind turbines on a ridge. I looked down to my right to see a dead Red Tailed Hawk, killed by the rotating blades. I wondered how many more dead raptors were beyond any PCT users' view. The sight of that dead bird will remain in my memory as long as I
 live. I wish they would stop building wind farms. If they continue, many beautiful ridges will be lined with windmills.

One recommendation:  Be sure to attend the annual KICKOFF PARTY. It is held late in April. You will learn much and meet many great people.

Have a great hike,

MendoRider-Hiker