[pct-l] Thru-Hike, Explorer Style

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 6 19:28:24 CST 2012

Eric, and anybody else who is interested, you might find this very
long essay to be interesting.
http://foragersharvest.com/into-the-wild-and-other-poisonous-plant-
fables/

Since it is very long (yet quite interesting), I copied the part I
hoped you might see:

When Krakauer insists that McCandless had sufficient food in the
Alaska bush, it makes me suspect that he has never lived on red
squirrels. I eat three in one meal, and that’s with wild rice and
vegetables.

The squirrels that McCandless was eating (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus)
typically weigh five to nine ounces (Whitaker, 1996). Using seven
ounces as an average, and realizing that after subtracting the skin,
tail, head, bones, feet, and entrails, the edible flesh would
constitute about 40 percent of that weight, or 2.8 ounces of meat per
squirrel. This means that he would have needed to eat about twenty-
five squirrels per day to meet his caloric requirement. If he
carefully removed and ate the liver, kidneys, kidney fat, heart,
lungs, and brain of each squirrel, he would have about doubled the
calories that he received from each animal. Since he probably did
this to some extent, I estimate that he needed roughly sixteen
squirrels to equal a calorie-day.

Chris McCandless was not hiking 15-30 miles a day. Just hanging out
in his bus he'd need about 16 squirrels a day.

If you do plan to hike and hunt, you might do better not hiking the
PCT. It's a crest trail so it stays away from the better animal
habitat. You'd probably find more food in the late summer of the
Pacific Northwest portion of the trail.