[pct-l] No on Proposition Foraging

Lisa Peru lisaperu2011 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 14:36:39 CST 2012

Death camas bulbs are very like camas and grow in similar places. Even people who regularly consumed camas were sometimes fooled because harvest is done while the plants are dormant, making it much harder to distinguish. The price for a mistake is high, very high. On my thru, I saw more death camas than camas. And even if you get the right plant, it can be very hard on digestions unaccustomed. Just ask Lewis and Clark. I hear wapato is more digestible. Didn't see that on the trail.

I did meet some very interesting people goat-packing. They take something like 20lbs rice, forage for greens, and consume A LOT of goat milk. They can stay out for about a month, one mama goat for two people. The billy carried the pack (about 40lbs) and the two kids spent the day frolicking and browsing. They pointed out that although they cross the PCT often, they camp off because the foraging is better below. They can do 12-15 miles/day.

Hunters have also told me that they use the PCT for travel only, and if you want to see (and shoot) any animals, you have to get at least a mile away from the trail because it's so well travelled that most animals avoid it.

Peru

Sent from my iPhone