[pct-l] Sleepin Bag

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 14:39:01 CST 2012

I have had 2 long distance summers with Western Mountaineering bags.  The first was a 2600 mile summer with an Ultralite.  I was cought in cold weather quite a few times with it and it kept me warm the whole way.  It was a tighter fit so if you're a bigger person or the slightest bit claustrophobic I would suggest the W.M. Alpinlite.

The second season was from Kennedy Meadows to Lassen area in a W.M. Megalite.  I got cold in it repeatedly in the Sierra.  It just wasn't enough bag for me for that season.  And I'm quite sure if I had made it to WA it wouldn't have been enough bag for that climate in many Septembers either.

I would agree that W.M. makes an outstanding product and is an excellent choice for a thru-hike.  They are light, quality, and have full zips.  This might not seem important, but just about any bag you're going to want to get your legs out of or back into the bag in Southern California.  Marmot often uses a half length zipper that can be difficult to get into and out of in the middle of the night.  I don't think the ounce or two it saves is really worth the hassle.

QuincyRider