[pct-l] rain gear

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:54:27 CST 2012

O2 Rainshield Rainwear and DriDucks are two relatively inexpensive
choices that can probably get you through a thru-hike.  Top and bottom
run about $60 for the pair, not sure about DriDucks these days, but
maybe half the cost of the 02.  I've used both for long hikes on the
PCT.  The 02 Rainshield is notably sturdier than the DriDucks,
particularly in the stitching, in my experience.  Neither will stand
up to desert pointy stuff, or sharp branches, so plan on healing with
duct tape.

Rain gear can be at least as important as laundromat attire as it is
for rain protection.  The 02 stuff comes only in canary yellow,
hanging out in that on laundry day is a fun experience.

backpackinglight.com not too long ago had a rain jacket shootout, you
could look there for recommendations for something that might last
longer than a thru-hike. (Though that article probably requires a
subscription.)