[pct-l] Night Hiking in the Mojave / Vagrancy Issues

BF playswmatches at punk.net
Mon Nov 26 13:28:22 CST 2012

Planning my thru-hike here, and anticipating my late-May hike through the
Western edge of the Mojave Desert being pretty brutal because, having once
lived there, I know that the daily high temps during that time of year are
in the upper 80's at best, and I know that near trail water sources are
pretty scare.

Coincidentally, May's full moon occurs 3-1/2 weeks after April's ADZKO,
which is when I anticipate myself (and probably quite a few others) having
made it up to the Lake Hughes / Hwy 138 area.  I was thinking that hiking
under the full moon for a couple of night might be a way to conserve
moisture.  Anybody ever done this out there?  I know that Mojave Greens
may be an issue.  They're usually bright green during that time of year
and pretty easy to spot during the day, but at night, that might be a
different story.

Also, during a recent road tour through a near trail Nor Cal towns such as
Yreka and Shasta City, I noticed an inexplicably large amount of younger,
unkempt, "outdoorsy" types that, if not for certain tell tales (dogs,
duffels, placards, requests for cash and/or green bud) could have easily
been mistaken for being long distance hikers.  I was wondering if the
opposite ever happens: have any of you PCT thru hikers ever had any
problems with being confused being homeless during your travels on and off
the trail?

Any sharing of experience or opinions on the these topics would be greatly
appreciated.

-BF

p.s.- I'm seriously considering getting buttons made up which read "No,
I'm not a Vagrant, I'm a Thru-Hiker" to hand out to fellow members the
Class of 2013 at the ADZPCTKO.