[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:16:27 CDT 2012

> .

Jon, I make it a point to hike without a teather and I would never consider
doing any of those things you mentioned.

I hike the way I do because it is important to me, am I selfish - maybe.
Luckily my wife completely understands (the hiking without a cell phone -
not the whole thru hiking thing) and my family seems to not mind
either.  My wife knows that if I should have gone through two towns and
haven't called yet to get worried - anything other than that is not to be
concerned with.  The 2 town rule is because sometimes it may
prove difficult to find a phone in very small rural towns that I am just
doing a quick in and out for resupply or may have changes plans for some
other reason.

Everyone has to make this decision for themselves - for many it will not be
the correct decision for them.   In my opinion too many people let others
make the this decision for them or worse don't realize it is a decision
open to them.

HYOH,  with devices or not, to me is it just another decision about what
you want out of your hike, similar to what gear your plan to use or how
long you plan to hike between town stops.

Day-Late