[pct-l] Lightweight Poncho as Rain Gear

tokencivilian at yahoo.com tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 10:55:50 CDT 2012

I have used a poncho exclusively since 2003, living in the slightly damp state of Washington.  I would still bring rain pants to complete the rain gear as the poncho only covers down to the thighs / knees area.  Rain pants are also part of my warmth system on the legs, being long johns, nylon hiking pants then the rain shell.  If you think wind will be an issue with the poncho bring some 2-3mm accessory cord as a belt which will keep things in place.

On the thru hike my poncho worked like a charm.  I was the only one in my group to stay totally dry on a wet couple of days north from snoqualmie pass in mid / late September.

The poncho is also the superior choice (IMO) for keeping your pack and contents dry.  There are no breaks in the protection, like down your back, that a pack cover suffers.  Pack covers are also single use items - weight inefficiency.