[pct-l] To " Filter or Treat"...or not to..."Filter and Treat"

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 17:34:50 CDT 2012

Hey Miles,
I also never get sick drinking iodine treated water and neither have the
hundreds of Scouts I have hiked with over the last 35+ years.
Some folks, however, do get sick....even legendary hikers, including PCT
legend Scott Williamson, have gotten sick.
Other folks don't seem to get sick....for example, I have on more than
on occasion run into an Attorney from LA, another JMT fanatic, who
drinks the water straight from the source with a cup and never gets sick.
Like I said some folks may have greater resistance or just plain more luck.

However,....I did get sicker than a dog once,....about 20 years
ago,....in Havasu Canyon in  the Grand Canyon.
One of my hiking partners, a retired career Navy Seal,....former
Commander of the Seals....the kind of guy you would like to have next to
you in a combat zone....was telling us that a leafy plant growing in
Havasu Creek was eatable.
He was eating it, I figured, a career Navy Seal, he knew what he was
talking about, and he did, so I decided to give it a try.
The trouble is, my ears are not so good....to many Bazooka rounds in
Vietnam....I was a Marine Bazooka Gunner.
I did not hear that my Seal buddy said that you needed to rub that slimy
coating off the plant before eating it, so I was eating it straight.

Well, to make a long story short, I got sicker than a dog....much worse
than a hang over from to much booze and I had a few of those in my
younger days....I mean I was squirting an puking and just feeling like a
dog....you don't want that to happen to you.

But,....I never got sick, not in 35+ years, drinking iodine treated
water and neither did hundreds of Scouts....that my friend is a pretty
good record and speaks for itself.

Of course, when I hike with the Scouts and ore my wife I am prone to
take less chances.
I have been known to take chances and do some dumb things when I go
"solo"....like sitting out a lightning storm
on top of Mt. Whitney in a little cave like crevasse about 100 ft from
the hut.

Boy, you can't believe how loud thunder can be until it strikes right
next to you.
I survived,....but I don't think it did anything to improve my hearing.

Yes Miles, I am sure it was all that yummy gum on the sidewalk and that
dirt that you ate that made you more resistant.
DIRT  IS  GOOD FOR  YOU....that is why  "thru-hikers"  are always so
dirty....they know what is good for them, it comes with experience.
For that same reason you can always tell clean "day hikers or a weekend
hikers"  from  "thru-hikers"....they have not yet learned that  "dirt is
good for them".....it will come to them with experience.

So, if it works for you Miles, why change....HYOH....and who cares what
everybody else thinks.
However, if your superior resistance ever fails you,.....you will become
a  "Believer,...a true Believer".
I think Al Shaver will vouch for that.

JMT Reinhold
Your grubby, scuzzy, dirt loving trail companion