[pct-l] Yellow jackets and Epipens on the PCT

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Sep 10 18:26:30 CDT 2012

I was stung dozens of times by honey bees and hornets growing up.  When
I was 40, I was stung by a wasp, and my arm swelled up to half again its
normal size.  I carried an epipen for years until I was stung after I
put my socks on and was putting on my (then) boots.  It hurt like the
dickens and I had my girlfriend get out the epipen.  I sat there for 15
minutes or so, waiting for a reaction.  Nothing but a minor welt, and
when I finally started walking, it wasn't as bad as a small blister.

I think different stinging insects elicit different systemic responses.
A doctor would know...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD