[pct-l] Permanent Campfire Ban on PCT?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 15 09:49:24 CDT 2012

I don't think that is workable. First of all, it has not been
determined that a PCT hiker's campfire caused the fire. Second, PCT
hikers aren't the only people hiking the PCT. There are hunters,
scouts, weekenders, and others. I suppose you could deprive the whole
world of the enjoyment of a campfire to quell the carelessness of a
few but that seems rather harsh. Not to mention that careless
campfire people are going to have campfires no matter what anybody
says about it and there's about a grand total of zero rangers out
there to enforce anything.