[pct-l] Permanent Campfire Ban on PCT?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Sep 15 09:56:44 CDT 2012

A different take on this issue is that the PCTA and any organization or
person talking in public about hiking the PCT could be encouraged to
discourage building campfires except in emergency.

Prohibition doesn't work.

However, appealing to the ethical sense of thru-hikers might.  Sure
there will be "I'm in this for me" small minded hikers, but most people
get the destructiveness of fires, not just in terms of danger to the
forest in raging wildfires, but to the small world where firepits leave
scars that last for years and years.

There will always be selfish people, but most people can claim ignorance
- so let's just keep up the consciousness raising and support
campfireless hiking on the PCT...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD