[pct-l] Alcohol stoves and fire bans

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 19 22:49:35 CDT 2012

The recent discussion of fire bans got me wondering how wildfires are started.
A quick search brought up the following summary from the National Interagency Fire Center, www.nifc.gov/PIO_bb/Background/PercentLvs-H.doc.
I find it interesting that 80-90% of fires are human caused, but more than half the acreage burned is from lightening caused fires.
It reports that in Southern California human caused fires exceed 90% of fires and account for 90% of the acreage burned.
It reports that in Northern California human causes accounted for about 80% of the fires, but only accounted for 40% of the acreage burned.

Snap