[pct-l] Alcohol stoves and fire bans

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 09:00:37 CDT 2012

Hello Snap,

Those are very interesting statistics.  I did not know that human caused fires were such a high percentage. Knowing that, supports my concern about careless campers and hikers who build illegal campfires, smoke in the woods (I think that the Apache fire in May of 2008 was started by a smoker.), and are careless with alcohol stoves. I was near Fobes Saddle at the time. The PCT was closed north of there. I had to trailer around.

I still wonder why so many UL hikers still use the alcohol soda can stoves. I do realize that many of the very experienced hikers use them very carefully and some have used them for years without starting fires. I am more concerned that they might influence newbes who become convinced that alcohol is the way to go. They won't necessarily be as careful as those who are already experienced.

 Yesterday, I researched the new Titanium canister stoves now available through REI.  There are two, the Sumo and the Sol. INCLUDING the cooking pot, the Sumo weighs just 12 ounces, while the Sol weighs 10.5 ounces. They are very efficient and boil water faster than you can with alcohol - and you can simmer. They are safer than alcohol and are even legal. Look them up ar REI.

Save the forests - save the PCT.

MendoRider