[pct-l] Trail clearing with horses and chainsaws

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 10:01:06 CDT 2012

Devon,
Chainsaws are allowed for trail maintenance in most National Forest land.  The one noteable exception are wilderness areas.  The group you ran into was more than likely in a wilderness area.  But the National Park mostly allows chainsaws in wilderness areas.  And to make it even more complicated, sometimes a National Forest will allow chainsaw use in an especially devastating year in a wilderness area.  But that is the exception, not the rule

This past summer I logged out about 60 miles of National Forest land with a chainsaw and some of it was by horseback.  Lassen National Forest and a little bit of Plumas.  I had more planned but because of the minimal winter last year, and the sustained dry summer, chainsaw use was banned early in the year this year.  I had a 70 mile log-out planned from Sierra City to Bucks Summit by horseback that I had to cancel.

But the maintainers I know, aside from the Backcountry Horsemen of California, don't carry chainsaws all day to clear trail.  If they plan on going more than a few miles, they carry a crosscut saw.  They are a lot easier to carry and are probably safer for most users in the backcountry.  Either way, you have to go through training to use a saw and be "certified" for it's use.  No, they don't get as much work done as quickly, but if you're going to walk 3 hours in and cut just one hour...

The National Parks usually allow chainsaws in their wilderness areas, though it may be more difficult to become a volunteer sawyer.  Lassen Volcanic National Park is in my area and the PCTA rep for the area is trying to get a volunteer sawyer (me) into the park on horseback.  They invited me to work with their crew for a few days in 2013 and show that I could use a chainsaw safely and they said if that works out okay, I could volunteer on the PCT in 2014!  Personally, I think they're just hoping I'll go away...

In the Inyo National Forest this summer there was a major wind event and thousands of trees were blown down.  The Backcountry Horsemen of California were among the first on the scene.  They were allowed to use chainsaws, though it was in a wilderness area, I believe.  I served with a group of volunteer trail maintainers in the same area and was directed to use crosscut saws.  None of the "Can Do Crew" had any experience with chainsaws...

Hope I haven't posed more questions than I've answered!

QuincyRider