[pct-l] Ultralight as a must?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 29 13:03:54 CDT 2012

I did a significant portion of the trail with an Osprey Ariel (or was
it an Aura) 65. It was a great pack. In fact, I traded a lighter pack
for it when I got to Agua Dulce and it relieved a lot of back pain
for me and actually felt lighter because it could handle the load
better. This summer I hiked for a few days with a young lady from
Germany who started the CDT with 65lbs of gear. She had traded out
some of it for lighter gear shortly before I met her, but she loved
her tent and would declare that love every now and then. It was some
kind of really popular tent for Germans and Europeans. That lady was
a fast, strong hiker, too.

It's probably all those little things you'll end up getting rid of
anyway, and those little things will make a big difference.
Eventually you might send enough little things home that your packs
are too big (that's why I traded my Osprey eventually for an
ultralight pack--the Osprey became mostly empty), but that doesn't
really matter very much.

So enjoy your hike. You'll be fine.