[pct-l] washing sleeping bags

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 5 13:53:26 CDT 2013

Please, if you intend on keeping your bags, do NOT use regular detergent on them.

The fibers making up a down plume are very resilient to heat. But, washing the lanolin-like oils out of the plumes will ruin the plumes. Eventually causing them to get brittle, break and clump. Even trace amounts, like the detergent residue found in many washers, will cause this damage. Over washing, even with down wash, can cause damage. One or two washings with detergent can remove the lanolin-like oils permanently from a down plume, depending on the detergent.

Heat from drying has little to no effect on the down. Keep the temp below boiling, generally. Plastics are usually safe enough at about 140-160F.

Every 14-21 days of use is plenty of washing. This will keep your bag in good shape for 10-20 years, easily. Nor do you need to use much down wash. 1/4 or 1/3 of a capful is plenty to do a bag, not the full capful per bag that is normally recommended.

Typically, lofting is a product of the resiliency of the feathers AND electrostatic repulsion. Often damp or dirty down looses electrostatic repulsion. Oil and dust can combine making a sort of glue, increasingly matting down a plume. It may take a couple washings to clean if you have let a bag go for 60-70 nights. Better to do independent washings than try to clean it all in one shot.

My thoughts only . . .
		jdm