[pct-l] Protective phone case

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 14:37:49 CDT 2013

 My phone has a flexible plastic case, but for distance hiking I put that in a sleeve I made from those plastic covered bubble mailers--I just use my vacuum sealer (without vacuum) to make a case with one end open to slip in the camera or phone.  Then I slip that whole arrangement in an "Aloksak" brand waterproof bag to which I've taped to the inside a silica pack (from a vitamin container).  I feel like the bubble wrap protects the camera/phone from impact from setting my pack on the ground, since I keep my camera and/or phone in my hipbelt  pocket.  Also the Aloksak protects from moisture at night since I keep it unpacked enough for the phone alarm to wake me up.  Occasionally I include a spare silica pack with my resupply boxes.  The bubble mailer sleeves also work great for any glass you may be packing.

You had written:

"Can anyone share a favorite brand of protective phone case?  Ideally that
will allow me to step on my Smartphone, throw it off a cliff, or fall into
a river with it? Obviously no phone case will meet these criteria (maybe
step on it gently...), but the ones I have used in the past were purchased
because they met one or more of the following criteria: were sparkly, had
pink hearts, or had a Van Gogh print on them.  As fun as they were they all
fell apart within a few months of use.  I can accept some compromise in
fashion to get a good protective case and hopefully not destroy my phone
(again). Cheers!
k"