[pct-l] blood sucking mosquitoes

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 11 08:19:11 CDT 2013

Thanks so much for the information about the midges. When I hiked
last summer in the Winds there were swarms of what I thought at first
were mosquitoes, but they didn't bite. They were a little larger than
the average mosquito and resembled them. I have also seen similar
insects near 1000 Island Lake. Annoying they are, but you can still
sit outside your tent and watch the alpenglow.

If you wait around long enough, you finally learn all these little
mysteries. First those weird honking birds (nighthawks), now this.
(This is also the reason I loved the guide books.)